Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Avoiding Summer Makeup Meltdown


We've talked a lot about cute summer dresses and keeping cool during the heat of summer. But the summer heat can also play havoc with your makeup. And who's going to be looking at your perfect summer dress when your makeup is sliding down your face?

But that doesn't have to be the case! I've been collecting a few tips from the experts in keeping your summer look in place and I am totes willing to share, so read on!


The first key to keeping your makeup in place in the heat of summer is to use minimal layers. The less makeup on your face, the less you have to smear. And that's a good thing!


Second, prime, prime, prime! I don't know about you, but my face turns super oily in the summer. Oily skin usually means big pores and that's a bad combination. Using a primer will not only help minimize pores, it will create a tacky surface on your face, giving makeup something to cling to. If you can find a primer with SPF sunscreen in it, all the better! 


Too Faced Primed & Poreless helps makeup last while avoiding oil buildup.


I've tried tons of primers. Some are better at keeping oil at bay, while others are better at helping makeup last. Few have been able to do both well, in my opinion. But I seem to have a lot of success with Too Faced Primed & Poreless. It seems to do a great job of keeping makeup on without turning my face into a grease pit. I've even worn it to work on some 90-degree days, then to the gym after work and still had makeup on my face when I got home!
Those of you who have oily skin an also add a mattifier to help control oil and shine throughout the day, but again, the more layers you add to your face, the more obvious it will be if things start to run when you begin to sweat in the heat.

When wearing foundation in humidity, less is always more. In the following video, Tiffany D explains something I have recently learned myself: even though it is summer and you want a lighter, dewier (is that a word? LOL) look, it is better to apply less of a foundation with better coverage than to apply tons of foundation with a sheer coverage. I love Makeup by Tiffany D! She is just so cute and gives the best tips!



So as Tiffany explains, wearing less foundation and putting it just where you need it is ideal in the summer months. Make sure you have good coverage and a good match to your skin tone and you will not need to coat your face in tons of foundation.


I love both the Revlon ColorStay and the Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet+,
but I think the Make Up Forever keeps me more matte for longer.

I really like the Revlon ColorStay in Normal to Dry too. I have really oily skin, but like Tiffany says, it wears better than the oily skin version and I'm not putting on enough to make my skin overly oily, so it's all good. My current favorite is a little more pricey, but I find it's the best foundation I've ever used. It's the Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet+. This foundation has a mattifier and is oil free and it really lasts on my skin. It may cost a little more that drug store brands, but I think it is well worth it!

Another trick to making foundation more long-wearing? Apply it with a damp brush or sponge!

I use a Beauty Blender, but any damp sponge or brush would do! I just dot foundation all over my face, wet my sponge and stipple it all over my face to get a really nice, full coverage with very little makeup! You can see a beauty blender at work here. I love mine and use it every day!

For eyeshadow, long-lasting cream shadows last a lot longer in the heat. I've been playing with these a lot lately. I like them because they last and also because they leave no under eye mess when applying. Two brands I love? Maybelline Color Tattoo, as I am wearing in my picture above and Benefit's Creaseless Cream


Benefit Creaseless Creams and Meybelline Color Tattoo are two great long-wearing cream eyeshadows!

The color choices from both of these brands are lovely enough that they can be worn alone, or you can take a more nude color and use it as a base to keep your powder eye shadow on longer!


Other Tips to Avoid Summer Makeup Meltdown:


  • A setting spray like Urban Decay's All Nighter can help lock your look in place and keep it there.
  • Rice paper blotting sheets are a girl's other best friend! Keep these babies in your purse to dab away oil without messing up your makeup!
  • Waterproof mascara is a necessity. Humidity can make your mascara flake and melt. Keep your lashes looking great with a waterproof or a least water resistant mascara - eye liner too, for that matter.

That's it for today Horizontal Stripers. Did I miss something? What's your trick for keeping makeup in place? Hit me up in the comments! 

Until then, hugs!
Ginny



No comments:

Post a Comment